This moving day is almost here. This is a hard page to turn in the Eaton book - bittersweet. This month of reflection and farewells is especially difficult. The memories are abundant and worthy and fill 6.5 years. This old house is full of firsts and lasts. How do I leave a place where both of my children came home from the hospital? A place where both of them took their first steps, spoke their firsts words, celebrated every birthday they've ever had? This is the house where I've cried myself to sleep, laughed until it hurt, turned 30! A house that I've poured my heart and soul into the walls, literally and figuratively.
The friends that we've made have been the very best. The authentic kind. I spent the first years as a mother here, bonded with those that were in the same shaky and scary boat as I. The friends that Grace has known since she was just a baby, the little ones who cannot remember when they didn't know us. The kind that you don't have to bother with all the polite and silly stuff and the kind that are effortless, therapeutic and necessary! And I'll miss the prospects too, the friendships that I'll leave behind before they were given the chance.
And then there's Winston. The little place on the map that I'd never even heard of on the day that Brett first mentioned it. That seems so funny to me now, since I personally own Winston today. I've made it my own and loved it unconditionally. Someone must have known how much we needed a Winston in 2003.
Funny how you can love a place, but also be ready to move on.
Top Ten Things I'll Miss about Winston:
10. Cheerwine and sweet tea
9. The Moravian Star
8. The drive time to anywhere: 5 minutes
7. Skippy's
6. The fact that Richmond is within driving distance
5. Lemonade Squares
4. The strawberry and blueberry farms
3. Halloween in Ardmore
2. Snob Shop
1. Preschool
Top Ten Things I Can't Wait to Leave Behind:
10. The strange phenomenon of people sticking their front ends into the road while waiting to pull out, probably in front of you if they're over 65 or on Stratford Road
9. The smoke in restaurants or public places
8. March Madness
7. The complete lack of nightlife for people out of college
6. "You Poor Thing" "Bless Your Heart" and "Sugar"
5. Mysterious reasons for school delays and closings
4. The annoying pronunciation of Buena
3. Business 40's death trap
2. The strange shredded lettuce salad
1. The drive to Richmond
To Winston as our home we say: "Farewell".
To Our Friends Forever we say: "See You Soon"!
McMansionville
10 years ago
Well said Tasha! I love it.
ReplyDeleteSweet Tatia!
ReplyDeleteThis brought me to tears.
I don't think I will be able to describe our stay in Winston, so eloquently, but it has also been memorable!
See you in Richmond!
~Courtney